The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 i cant get my hognose to eat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nobnard Posted - 16/10/2009 : 20:25:11
i haven't had my hognose for long but the previous owners said that it hasn't ate in little over a month
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Technobimbo Posted - 18/11/2009 : 22:30:08
When I first had Horace he ate like a pig every week, then for some unknown reason he totally went off his food - this was in summer, so no thought of brumation, no changes in viv etc., absolutely no reason I could tell.... However, he still shed in the middle of all this, and still did not eat for weeks after. At one point I got a bit worried and tried to encourage him by moving mousie round in front of him a few times, but all this did was make him 'hood up and hiss' so gave up on that, and just gave the pinks (had even dropped back down from fluffs in an effort not to overface him) to my tree frogs every week after I'd tried him.... then suddenly, for no reason after approx 3 months he just started eating again... Did not appreciably loose too much weight, so just put this down to him having a tanty pants... he is male after all!!

Moral... just don't give up and try not to worry too much!
sexychef Posted - 16/11/2009 : 10:46:04
quote:
Originally posted by scubamedic

Hello. New to this forum. I am having the same problem with my male hog. Was bought from a reputable snake breeder/shop a month ago. was apparently eating well. He has not eaten since. The problem im concerned about is that he weighed 20g when I bought him. last week he was 16g. tired a few things ie waving it in front of his nose, leaving it in, have increased temp up to 85-86 degrees ( suggested due to maybe starting brumation).He just gets very hissy, very aggresive and very smelly. Female (unrelated) eating like a pig.
Have had a look on this forum am a bit less concerned as I dont seem to be alone. Will keep plodding on, but its nice to know there are forums like this to help.

i think its because he is a male try things like a mouse tail
scubamedic Posted - 15/11/2009 : 20:32:31
Hello. New to this forum. I am having the same problem with my male hog. Was bought from a reputable snake breeder/shop a month ago. was apparently eating well. He has not eaten since. The problem im concerned about is that he weighed 20g when I bought him. last week he was 16g. tired a few things ie waving it in front of his nose, leaving it in, have increased temp up to 85-86 degrees ( suggested due to maybe starting brumation).He just gets very hissy, very aggresive and very smelly. Female (unrelated) eating like a pig.
Have had a look on this forum am a bit less concerned as I dont seem to be alone. Will keep plodding on, but its nice to know there are forums like this to help.
LouiseB Posted - 09/11/2009 : 13:32:49
Males do seem to be more difficult to get eating than females. Keep weighing your hoggy and keep an eye on his/her general condition, but I wouldn't worry unless there is any significant weight loss.
Paulusworm Posted - 26/10/2009 : 15:44:04
Suki is doing the same. As long as there is no drastic weight loss then just keep at it.
Kazerella Posted - 26/10/2009 : 11:03:04
Neither did Wilbur - he went about 2 months before we got him going.

I wonder if you've got a male?
sexychef Posted - 17/10/2009 : 11:22:30
we will need more info to help you like how old the wieght your set-up the set-up before you got it what techniques have been tried. just dont panic for now i have had a hoggie at 7grams that didnt eat for nearly 3 months
Carolyn Posted - 16/10/2009 : 20:53:01
Hello! I've never had a problem with my hoggie not eating even though she moved house. best to read the "am i doing something wrong" post as some of the guys on this forum really know what they are talking about! My Lady just loves food

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000