The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Am I doing something wrong?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stiggle_2 Posted - 15/09/2009 : 19:14:29
Well, this is week 5 of Clarice not eating. I was just wondering if something i am doing is wrong?
-She is normally kept at 26-29deg with 33-34deg hotspot. She always has fresh water and plenty of places to hide, she is kept on aspen and was eating 2 pinkie mice every week. I have included a pic of her viv, which gives her plenty of room as she is not very big yet. Any advice?

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stiggle_2 Posted - 07/10/2009 : 21:32:11
:-) i think i already have, i saw one a while back in another shop (a yellowbelly) who i completely fell in love with, but the next week back i went they had sold him, sob*

I would have taken him home when i saw him the first time if i had a spare tank :-(
Paulusworm Posted - 07/10/2009 : 20:55:18
quote:
Originally posted by stiggle_2

Scales and tails in leics have lots of new royals in soon. EEK! Might have to go and have a look on Saturday...

Leave your wallet/purse at home if you are going to just look. I guarentee that you will fall in love with them
stiggle_2 Posted - 07/10/2009 : 20:38:51
Scales and tails in leics have lots of new royals in soon. EEK! Might have to go and have a look on Saturday...
Paulusworm Posted - 07/10/2009 : 12:38:27
I completely agree with Kaz, Stiggle. Royals are lovely, chilled out snakes that are quite happy to be left to it. As long as they are fed, watered and cleaned out regularly they are happy. An excellent recommendation .

quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

You'll have to join theroyalpython.co.uk They know everything there is to know about them (they are obsessed)

Some more obsessed than others. I think you know who I mean Kaz .

Kazerella Posted - 07/10/2009 : 10:03:24
You'll have to join theroyalpython.co.uk They know everything there is to know about them (they are obsessed)
stiggle_2 Posted - 04/10/2009 : 12:05:16
Saying that, i am open to any species which is not too big...
stiggle_2 Posted - 04/10/2009 : 12:03:53
I live in leicester. The vest i went to has a good reputation, its in sileby and its called chine house. What do you think? Have you heard of it?

On a similar note, do you know anyone who breeds royal pythons round here? I am after a new addition to my family! ;-) Im all set up, just need a nice healthy snake!
Paulusworm Posted - 04/10/2009 : 08:00:12
Where do you live? I can ask around and see if there is a rep vet in your area who has a good reputation if you want.
stiggle_2 Posted - 03/10/2009 : 12:42:31
Hmmm, must take vet advice with a pinch of salt then. He was very good though, told me a lot about the hogsnose species in particular, so i felt comfortable trusting his advice. I dont know, its difficult isnt it to know what to do for the best sometimes. Thank you for your advice though, this is why forums like this are so valuable!
hc-burrel Posted - 28/09/2009 : 23:48:23
I never use water on hognose snakes, they only have drinking water.
Even when they are about to shed skin, i rarely spray water

Once one of my hognose had problems shedding his skin...
Advised by 2 vets i start bathing him once a day for a week till things should get better... instead this only stressed him out even more and he also caght a serrious lung inflammation which killed him!

mabe this sounds weird.. but be carefull trusting a vet when it comes to reptiles
only few vets realy know something about reptiles
most vets have just bin on a sort of information day (dont know the english word)
most times reptiles where not taken in the education

once i where at a vet in Amsterdam. He sounded like he realy knew everything about reptiles but at the end he needed a lot of books to find out how to help a simple ratsnake.
He also advised bathing my hognose.
stiggle_2 Posted - 28/09/2009 : 16:24:37
Ok, Clarice finally ate something!! The solution- rat pups! Managed to find some small enough, so tried one today, and she munched it down faster than Ive ever seen a snake eat!! I am very pleased.

Also, i know they hate water, but i went to an exotics vet and that is what he advised. Im not a vet myself so i thought i should take his advice.

Anyways thought id post and let you all know, in case anyone was having the same problem!
hc-burrel Posted - 27/09/2009 : 18:47:09
Bathing the hognose wil only stres her out, they realy hate water.
They also dont drink so often, can be hard to spot them drinken.

Just keep checking out the wheight every 1 or 2 weeks
My hognose male once refused to eat for about 2 months
Scenting is an option but refusing to eat can be a normal thing to do for hognoses
Kazerella Posted - 24/09/2009 : 16:31:52
Have you tried scenting yet?

I put a pilchard in the bag with the frozen pinkies when Wilbur wasn't eating. That worked
stiggle_2 Posted - 23/09/2009 : 19:10:14
Just thought id give you guys an update, she still* hasn't eaten. But i took her to a really good reptile vet for a check up, and he said she seems in excellent condition and just to keep trying. He did suggest that i bathe her in warm water for 10 mins which i did (and she hated!) in case she was dehydrated. Just a thought if anyone else is struggling to get theirs to eat! Will post when she finally eats again!
Kazerella Posted - 21/09/2009 : 14:02:30
Most hoggies (especially males) will go through a period of fasting when uncomfortable. Moving to a new viv must have upset her a bit, but she should strat eating again soon.

Just keep trying

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000