The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Feeding advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ascending_endlessly Posted - 19/08/2009 : 11:48:28
Hi everyone,

I finally got an amazing male Western hognose yesterday. Hes about 16 weeks old but hes well grown on (I'd say hes about 40cm!).

Anyway, hes due for a feed at the end of the week and I'm going to do it in a seperate tub. what I want to know is, after hes eaten, how long should i leave him before i transfer him back into his viv? I dont want to handle him too soon and then him regurgitate!

thanks very much
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 24/08/2009 : 10:00:11
I agree with Sexychef- I've found my hoggy will eat multiple small items rather than what I'd consider a more appropriately sized bigger item. Pure laziness I'm sure
sexychef Posted - 23/08/2009 : 17:24:36
leave him 5 days without handerling then try to feed. try to pick the smallest pray item you can they dont strech like other snakes
ascending_endlessly Posted - 23/08/2009 : 17:01:27
couldnt tell you the weight, but hes been feeding on fluffs and rat pups in the shop. Im not sure if its because its a rat, perhaps hes more used to mice? I've decided I'm going to leave him a few days and then try again, then if he doesnt feed I think I'll go get some mice and try him on those
sexychef Posted - 23/08/2009 : 16:50:14
whats the wieght of your hoggie? a rat pup may be too big for it. hoggies tend not to strike at there pray.

i would start of offering a mouse pinkey.
ascending_endlessly Posted - 23/08/2009 : 15:57:52
Hi guys,

my hoggie was due a feed on Friday, so, I gave him a rat pup using tongs and all he did was hiss. So, thinking that maybe in the shop he hadn't strike fed, I left the rat in with him overnight. The next morning there was a small blood stain on the kitchen roll and a definate fang puncture wound in the rat towards its back legs, so he'd obviously had a go at it. Anyway, I left it in with him again overnight and there was a bigger blood stain this morning, i can only presume that he's bitten it again but not swallowed it. Just wondering where i should proceed from here?
ascending_endlessly Posted - 20/08/2009 : 19:36:56
new topic opened.

http://www.thehognosesnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=288#1960
sexychef Posted - 20/08/2009 : 14:14:47
quote:
Originally posted by ascending_endlessly

yeah definately using aspen, i did consider sand but i know that can lead to problems with compaction etc. plus aspen will be a lot easier to clear out.

at the moment my hoggie seems to only stay on the cool side of the viv (nestled in his hide), I very rarely see him on the warm side. the temp is around 30-32 C on the warm side, just wondering if theres a reason why he'd just stay on the cool side? (although I am feeding him tomorrow so I'm going to see if he moves to the warm side for digestion)

thanks again guys

im guessing your house is around 22-25c at the mo and that is still higher enough for digestion so dont worry if he is not in the hot side too much. you will see him change when the weather cools down a tad.
ascending_endlessly Posted - 20/08/2009 : 14:00:47
yeah definately using aspen, i did consider sand but i know that can lead to problems with compaction etc. plus aspen will be a lot easier to clear out.

at the moment my hoggie seems to only stay on the cool side of the viv (nestled in his hide), I very rarely see him on the warm side. the temp is around 30-32 C on the warm side, just wondering if theres a reason why he'd just stay on the cool side? (although I am feeding him tomorrow so I'm going to see if he moves to the warm side for digestion)

thanks again guys
sexychef Posted - 19/08/2009 : 23:27:21
glad to hear your moving him off chips i dont get putting hoggies on chips as they love to dig and make tunnels
Gingerpony Posted - 19/08/2009 : 22:36:54
i usually leave mine at least 10 mins if not longer before putting them back in their viv, especially if they're used to having multiple food items per feed, this time allows them to work their meal down to their stomach and get out of 'feeding mode'
ascending_endlessly Posted - 19/08/2009 : 13:59:48
Im not 100% sure, they had him on chips in the shop but Im going to move him onto Aspen,so feeding out of the viv would prevent him ingesting any. It should be easy to put the tub into his viv actually, I just didnt want to do it too soon and disturb him.

Thanks very much!
sexychef Posted - 19/08/2009 : 13:47:45
as feeding out of the viv. move him back to his viv about 5-10mins after the mouse has settled in his stomach. then to move him back either put the tub into the viv and let him come out on his own, or tilt the tub into his viv or if niether of them can be done get the tub as close to the viv as possible and then lift him into the viv supporting as much of his body as possible.

has he been feeding out of the viv before you got him?

oh and hi and welcome

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000