The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Hognose Snake - General Keeping Information
 Wood and humidity

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jaleely Posted - 28/08/2011 : 08:26:27
I see a lot of people making vivs out of wood...they look great! But How do you deal with keeping moisture in there without destroying the wood over time? I've seen one where someone put tile down on the bottom, but what about the ambient humidity? Also tile is heavy. I was thinking of doing the wood thing, but then putting down thin sheets of not acrylic from the hardware store...then silicon-ing it up. Kind of making a clear plastic tank (minus front opening lid, which could be sliding glass or acrylic) inside the wooden viv/shelves. What I really would like is a solid waterproof bookshelf looking vivarium...I have 7 snakes...only one of which is a hognose (adding more in November, hopefully :), the others are going to get at least 4-8 feet each. Right now we have one huge 4 ft tank on the floor (well lifted a tiny bit off the floor on cinder blocks) but I'm trying to figure out what to do in the future!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
andi Posted - 17/09/2011 : 18:24:04
was gonna say.....didn't think the western hoggies needed extra humidity
jaleely Posted - 29/08/2011 : 04:52:25
huh! So maybe i'm over-thinking it. We have two ball pythons, a carpet python, bolivian boa, two dumeri's boas and the hoggy.
Kehhlyr Posted - 28/08/2011 : 23:02:44
There's only a few snakes that would require a level of humidity that could damage or swell wooded vivs up.
Rainbow boas, and Tree Boas are a couple that I can think of off the top of my head.

All my snakes (kings, BCi, Hoggies, milks) don't require any extra humidity then what is already in the the normal atmosphere. Maybe when shedding a damp hide, but that's only a small tub with a little opening so doesn't impact on the wood.

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000