The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Introductions
 Hey guys! :) New here - please help!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Toki Posted - 01/12/2010 : 13:23:26
Hey all :)
Thought I'd say hey! New to this forum.

Me and my boyfriend recently got a 5 month old little Hoggie. He (my bf) has owned snakes before and wanted another, i've never owned them but have always loved to have one. We researched Hoggies, got the set up etc and got one a few weeks ago.

Thing is, he/she (for the sake of this post, i'll refer to Hog as a he) hasn't eaten yet. We left him a while to settle in, then we tried him on a plain pinkie, he didn't want it. so we left him another short while, tried again ... didn't want it. We tried a scented one a short while after and he's still not interested. He goes over to it, licks it a bit, usually slides over it or around it, then just ignores it.

He's lovely and tame, inquisitive and loves a mooch about and he loves burrowing.

I'm new to this so i don't know if i'm overly stressing, but soon it'll be a month with no food. Is this normal for a young one? Has anyone please got any tips to help us to get him to eat?

We thought it might be stress from having a new home but he seems quite happy.

Also, how old before you can tell the sex? and how do you do so?

Any help would be really appreciated - we're starting to worry quite a bit!

Thanks guys :)

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Toki Posted - 05/02/2011 : 18:35:01
Thanks! :)

He's been eating two pinkies a week now, grown quite a bit!
All the growing ... makes me think that he is a she ...

I'll have to put sme pics up bit he/she has really bulked out, tail end loks shorter etc, i could be wrong, only time will I guess. Be 7 mnths old soon :)
pt127494 Posted - 03/02/2011 : 21:36:47
welcome toki :)
Toki Posted - 22/12/2010 : 12:08:47
Yeah is good news, gonna try him again on Boxing day probably :)

Very unnerving, and as he's my first I was running about like a headless chicken lol
LouiseB Posted - 20/12/2010 : 12:41:58
Good news
They always do eat eventually - just gets a bit unnerving when they leave it for such a long time!
Toki Posted - 19/12/2010 : 19:55:38
HE ATE!
:D :D

Wasn't scented or anything. Put it in ... and he nudged it and wondered off. I thought "here we go ... he'll leave it ...". I looked round and it was half in his mouth.

YAY.

Toki Posted - 12/12/2010 : 22:57:50
Still not eaten :(

Toki Posted - 11/12/2010 : 17:26:22
Hahaha you're right ... I got him out earlier and thought i'd give his home a quick clean and what did I see poking out of his bedding? A seethrough tail. I pulled gently and his whole skin cme out in one piece. I was so happy/roud lol. I even took a pic .

We measured him and he has grown a bit, so the not eating isn't worrying me as much now, but we're gonna try him tomorrow for the first time in a week so fingers crossed .

Also ... him and his new fave thing is making me and my boyfriend laugh. He has a terry's chocolate orange box in the middle of his home and it's half filled with bedding. He was half in it .... on it ... tail in, head out one side ... lying by it and licking it ...
LouiseB Posted - 10/12/2010 : 20:18:38
How long ago did his eyes go back to normal? They usually shed two or three days after that. But he could have done it when you weren't looking, and hidden it under his bedding. My hog has done that before!
Toki Posted - 10/12/2010 : 19:45:08
Still not eating, but his eyes arent that bluey grey anymore and he's gone back to being all "ooohhhh, what's that?!" so i'm feeling a bit better.
Although he didn't shed .... is that normal?? Unless it's hidden under his bedding. Gonna clean him out on weekend anyway so we'll see.

Thanks for asking :)
LouiseB Posted - 10/12/2010 : 16:40:02
How is he doing? Has anything happened yet??
Toki Posted - 05/12/2010 : 19:59:46
Thank you!
I did research the shedding stuff before we got him but in my panic mode I can't remember what's what, and it's obv different to reading the book than experiancing it first hand. You shoulda seen me when we first had our chameleon, lol.

Hope his first shed (with us anyway) goes ok. Might try and give him a soak when his eyes have cleared up .
sullysteve Posted - 04/12/2010 : 14:53:52
hey toki.

You will notice that his eyes will go back to normal about a day or two before he actually sheds.

Woo!
Toki Posted - 04/12/2010 : 13:13:27
Hey ya! Thanks :)
Yeah I have been looking around a lot now and it des seem really common. By the looks of him the past few days he's about to shed, (eyes are dull ... skins dull and he's not really moving about and likes hiding .... are they the right signs for a shed?). So hopefully he'll be ok.
We're watching his weight so fingures crossed :)
LouiseB Posted - 03/12/2010 : 10:57:20
If you have a read through some of lthe past threads on the subject of eating, you'll see what a common problem it is, especially with boy hoggies!
Make sure the temperatures in his viv are OK, and that he doesn't show any signs of parasites, and as long as everything seems to be OK, don't worry about it.
Do keep an eye on his weight and if it starts to decrease more than a few grammes, perhaps see a vet.
sullysteve Posted - 01/12/2010 : 21:13:48
quote:
Originally posted by Toki

Thank you! I'll have a look at the link.

I wish i could find toad lol.
Thanks once again! :)

If you do, let me know so that i can use it too!

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000