The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Introductions
 Thinking of getting a Hognose

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Crazeemaz Posted - 27/05/2010 : 16:28:43
Hiya

Well having seen a gorgeous photo of an Albino Hognose on another forum I have decided to research these snakes with a view to getting one in the future. I keep Corns, Kings and Royals at the moment and have previoulsy had Garters too.
I have heard some poeple say that Hognose snakes have the same or similar requirements to corns and other people saying that is not the case so i decided to join this forum to find out exactly what requirements a Hognose has.

I will spend time now looking at all the information and photos!

A Big hello to everyone here and hopefully later this year I will have a hognose of my own

Maz
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 12/07/2010 : 15:02:28
I think I'd play dead if a massive cat started eying me up too

Wilbur has never played dead though, bless him
Mandie Posted - 28/05/2010 : 21:39:34
I've had hatchlings play dead and musk when moved from incubator to tubs and an adult female when she saw my cat out her viv! Needless to say she didn't fed for wks so ended up putting her back into a rub where she went back to normal - don't think it helped the cat sitting on top the viv patting the glass lol!
LouiseB Posted - 28/05/2010 : 13:40:57
My hoggy has never played dead, but he did do the smell thing a couple of times after I first got him. It wasn't that bad really, a bit like rotten meat but not very strong because he was only little! He also musked me when I was handling him in the shop. He's quite lucky I bought him after that! But he hasn't done it again since that one time.
I'd say hoggies are easy to look after, but the males can be more difficult to feed than the average corn, king etc. But if you have experience with other snakes, you'd have no problems dealing with the bit of awkwardness they can present.
Crazeemaz Posted - 28/05/2010 : 11:15:59
I really have fallen in love with them and in 10 years of snake keeping cannot understand how I missed them completely for so long!
The more images I see and the more I read about them is making me certain that I want one, preferrably a hatchling! So if any one out there is breeding them and will be selling provately or at a show please let me know!
Keri Posted - 28/05/2010 : 08:32:00
I keep balls, corns a super dwarf retic and a boa and my newest addition was a western hognose, SO much personality in a little package. He watches me with interest whenever I'm in that room, as I've only had him a couple of months now he's still in quarantine away from the other snakes. They can be picky eaters but with the balls I'm sure you can handle that if it happens, you won't regret getting one. Mine would huff and puff (hence the name Huff) in the beginning a lot but rarely does it now and will infact come up to my hand when I place it in the cage, often curling up in my palm.
Even at the start he did not play dead or musk, I think it's more common in very little babies and wild hogs?
sexychef Posted - 27/05/2010 : 17:00:23
i havent ever seen one play dead. i think that only happens in the wild.
Crazeemaz Posted - 27/05/2010 : 16:43:24
Thanks for the link to the care sheet!

Wow! Just been reading the care sheet. Inever knew they played "dead" if they felt threatened! Has anyone ever seen their Hognose do this? And is the smell they give off when they play "dead" really bad?
The more I read about them the more awesome they are.
sexychef Posted - 27/05/2010 : 16:32:57
hi and welcome ask away with questions and have a look at our care sheet http://www.thehognosesnake.co.uk/hognose_snake_care_sheet.htm

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000