The Hognose Snake Forum
The Hognose Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Hognose Snake Posts
 Introductions
 Hello and help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hoggielove Posted - 11/03/2010 : 20:10:08
Hi!

I'm new here, this is my little baby western hognose, Miss Chubby Cheeks. I got her two days ago, for my birthday.

She appears to us to be very healthy, and she is also quite curious (NOT a hider!) and docile. However, when we hold her, she will sometimes make an odd clicking sound. She will just open her mouth very slightly and click once. The click is tiny, but audible. Now, when she arrived to us (we ordered her from the internet), she was rather cold, so we put her in her tank with the 75 watt heat lamp on. Could the change in temperature have something to do with it? Or not? How to fix this?

Thanks for any help you can give!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 29/03/2010 : 13:39:12
Have you been to a vet yet?

What did they say?
sexychef Posted - 13/03/2010 : 17:00:37
defo a vet check then
Hoggielove Posted - 13/03/2010 : 16:59:33
Okay, it turns out that she has a resperatory infection. Reading up on the symptoms, it seems that a 'popping' or 'clicking' sound is a classic indicator of resperatory infection, so that explains that. The opening of the mouth that I described is actually 'mouth breathing'. She has also become rather lathargic. We've bumped her basking spot temp to 95 degrees fehrenheit, but she refuses to bask and will now only hide. We'll see if we can get a vet to check her out.
Hoggielove Posted - 12/03/2010 : 19:16:32
Thanks so much, everybody! I'll certainly keep an eye on her!
Lewy Posted - 12/03/2010 : 19:04:10
gorgeous little hoggy! Welcome to the forum!
Kazerella Posted - 12/03/2010 : 17:47:53
I've never heard mine do a clicking noise, but if she seems happy and healthy then I would just keep an eye on her at this stage.

It's most likely nothing, but if you seen anymore signs of anything strange just let us know.

oh and Welcome to the forum!
Hoggielove Posted - 12/03/2010 : 17:38:26
Thanks!

No, I don't think it's a hiss - she actually did hiss at me once, and this noise is different. It sounds just exactly like a tiny click. To us she appears healthy, with no outward signs of illness or stress, which is why we're kinda confused about why she would be 'clicking'. I wonder if anyone else has ever heard their hoggies 'click'?
sexychef Posted - 12/03/2010 : 15:49:25
is the sound a more like a puff/hiss? they can be very hissy.

lovely hog btw.

and welcome to the forum

The Hognose Snake Forum © 2000-08 THEHOGNOSESNAKE.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000